So I've been MIA for a few weeks. Sorry to the 5 of you that actually read this blog. It's certainly not because I haven't had anything to write about. I've just been so dang busy. It's garden season and Farmer Bennett has given us the bumper crop this year. I've been up to my ears in squash, cukes, zucchini, okra and beans, and it's not over yet. Thank God for the big harvest, otherwise I'd have no justification for the big fat freezer we bought last summer. I'm proud to say that we have a nice little stock pile of veggies to get us through the rest of the year. I've put up all I plan on messing with this season, so I've become the office veggie pimp. I've been doling out the goodies all week. So how about a raise fellas? At the very least, can you promise to keep me gainfully employed until this recession crap goes away?
Our other summer adventures have included an assortment of activities. The aforementioned root canal and other miscellaneous dental work went ok. Our eldest kid had a mysterious illness that included a fever with no other symptoms and required a pointless doctor's visit and subsequent $30 co-pay - just to rule out swine flu. The Big B & G made their first trip to Denton and had a great time camping with Pa Pa and riding the train. G has been carrying around and sleeping with his train ticket since he got home.
Then finally we had some July 4th excitement. We mowed 3 acres of grass, cooked some steaks on the grill, saw some fireworks and got physically molested by gnats, fire ants and mosquitoes. In between all that, B got to practice his cowboy skills. We got a call saying that Daddy's cows were out and making their way down a neighboring road. Now you know that expression "you can do so and so until the cows come home"? Well there's something to that. Apparently cows don't come home that easily. Did you know it actually takes a small army of folks to get 7 cows back to their pasture just a half mile from home? B left to go gather them in and the next thing I see is a caravan moving up the farm path: leading the way was Sammy (Daddy's mechanic and overall right hand man). Following him were the 6 or so cows and a calf. They were followed by 2 young guys hollering and directing the cows onward. Next was a neighbor's landscape truck, followed by Bennett who was followed by a Highway Patrolman flashing his blue lights. Why in the world I didn't make a picture is beyond me. I guess I see such weirdo things so often, it isn't all that weird anymore. It did make for quite a show moving up the path. I wonder if the neighbors think we're looney sometimes. I guess it's just a part of life in the country. What's odd is that the cows ALWAYS get out if my Daddy goes out of town for more than 2-3 days. Without fail. I can remember them doing it since I was a child. He'd been gone all week and I guess they just decided to set out on a mission to find him. Now that's devotion.
Last but not least, I've set out on a mission to improve our finances. I'm tired of seeing money just fly out of the window. So I've started drinking the Dave Ramsey Kool Aid. B and I are starting our Financial Peace University classes this coming Sunday and I can't wait. I've seen the program work firsthand for friends and acquaintances and they are living debt free (or almost) and are in better financial shape than ever. Sounds like a winner to me. We'll see if I can maintain this enthusiasm once we're mid-program, eating beans and weenies and reusing our paper towels and ziploc bags.
I have a feeling that life is about to get more interesting.
Peach Salsa - Home Canned
21 hours ago
No comments:
Post a Comment