Tuesday, August 4, 2009

AHHHOOOOGGGAAA!

For those uneducated as to the recreational activities available to those living in the country in a small town, let me enlighten you. There is no mall. No Target, although we do have a Walmart if you can get out of the parking lot without getting mugged or side-swiped by a redneck-mobile. There is no movie theater. The nearest parks were mostly designed for sports, not recreation, so you can expect to wait in line to get to the swings or the slides. So what in the world are two little boys to do with their free summer evenings? Where's all of the action? It's all here baby. Country life is grand I tell you. Just look and see.

My babes have their own "vertible", thanks to Pa Pa. Yes, he serves as their personal chauffeur in this classic 1977 Triumph convertible. At any given time, you'll see the three of them tooling around the farm, wind in their hair and bugs in their teeth. But this isn't even their favorite vertible. See Pa Pa has more than one. Take a look at this beauty - the AHHHOOOOGGAAAA Vertible:

Yes, this is the AHOOOOOGGGGAAAAHHH vertible - named by the boys for the distinctive sound the horn makes. My weird little children love riding around in this old heap. Never mind that it is an actual hazard to anyone stupid enough to put their hands near the engine. Never mind that after riding in it for only 2 minutes, you smell like a gas pump. Never mind that there is no seat other than the driver's seat and the doors are held shut by zip ties. To D & G, this is riding in high style.

Yes, we are going to look back one day and realize that these are going to be the good ol' days. Life is just sweeter here in the country. I have so much more appreciation of this place than when I grew up here. I'm so thrilled that I'm able to share that with my boys. They have plenty of room to explore, run, grow and experience all of the great things about country life. There are cows, chickens, rabbits and kitty cats galore. When they get a little bigger, I can only imagine the hours they'll spend fishing at the pond down the path. They can ride their bikes and run through the fields. They get to see all kinds of farm equipment working in the fields pretty much on a daily basis. They know the joy, work and rewards that come with having your own garden. It's little boy heaven out here and I hope that they appreciate it way earlier than I did. I'm so thankful and blessed that God always makes a way for you to come back home if you're willing. I wouldn't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment