I had a great childhood. I spent the 70's taking dance lessons, playing Barbies with cousin Alissa, wearing bell bottoms and halter tops and spending long hours at the Chicora pool. Aside from Mama cutting my hair super short in a failed attempt to get the Dorothy Hamill look, this was a great decade. The 80's were even better: big permed hair, braces, Jordache jeans, parachute pants, high school antics, boyfriends and hanging out in woods with friends listening to the best of 80's music. As long as Mama and Daddy were in charge, life was free and easy! I decided to take over in my late teens and that's when things got a little more complicated. I'll spare you the details and fast forward through the college woes, husband #1, numerous relocations, weirdo boyfriends and various career changes. I'm saving those sordid details for The Enquirer. Unlike this blog, they pay $$ for sordid stories. Besides, my parents read this blog and I don't want to get grounded or lose my allowance.
So let's move on to the good stuff which started in my late 20's. I got re-married in April 1999. I married a guy who couldn't be natured any more like my Daddy than if he had spit him out. His name is Bennett. He's the epitome of dignity and cool sophistication. Just look at his picture. Am I right or am I right?
Sorry girls...he's all mine. Seriously, he's all business when it comes to taking care of our family. He works very hard and I never have to get on him to do anything around the house or the yard…he's on it. He's not that into romance, but after 10 years, someone to take out the trash, change your oil and cook on the grill for you has far greater appeal. So I'm trying to let that mushy stuff slide. I'm a low maintenance woman like that. He's also a big kid at heart, which makes him a great Dad. The boys love him to pieces. Finally, he's also a man that loves the UNC Tarheels as much as he loves the Lord. Can we get an AMEN?
But enough about him. We procreated way back in 2004 and had our first son - Davis. He's 5 now and getting ready to start kindergarten in the fall. Our second little man, Garrett (aka Little Pig) came along in 2006 and he'll be going to preschool. If someone had told me 12 years ago I'd be remarried and have two kids, much less two little boys, I would have told them they were insane. I didn't see another husband or kids in my future, but voila…here I am. A wife and mini-van Mama of two lovable little terrorists.
It's been a great journey. It's not all been easy…far from it. There are days that I wanna crawl in a hole and hide. Overall though, God has been more than gracious to me and my family. I'm thankful for every minute of it. The tears and bumps in the road have all paid off and I know I'm a lucky gal.
No comments:
Post a Comment